I noticed this article in the Sydney Morning Herald the other day - it's a rather amusing take on how to destroy your computer - without really trying - in 7 easy steps:
1. Leave your computer plugged in during an electrical storm - surge protectors don't cover lightening strikes directly to your house!
2. Sit your computer on the floor to save desk space - and find a new dust magnetic that eventually clogs up the system!
3. Your computer and monitor make terrific shelves - block the air vents and watch your system overheat and melt down!
4. Just add water and stand back - food and drinks tipped into/onto the system - not just the keyboard!
5. Don't give me any static - fiddling inside the computer without anti-stat procedures!
6. Just drop it - a personal favourite of mine with laptops!
7. Mr Fix-it - when you - or worse a friend - attempts to fix something....
Missing from the list:
1. Pets - cats that can totally re-configure all your settings by placing 1 or more paws on the keyboard. Perhaps even lying on it!
2. Leaking ceilings - particularly during Sydney storms - the drips elegantly find their way to my systems. Solution? Cover the office in black crime scene plastic....and hope....
3. Pets, again - change number 2 above to include sucking in dog hair in molting season!
4. Children - too many possiblities to list here...!
5. Theft - laptops again...
Any more ideas?